Monday, July 28, 2014

Frozen: The Fandom

Ahh, Fandoms. I never quite know what to think of them; I'm always caught somewhere between impressed, fascinated, and overwhelmed. But with something like Frozen, with only 102 minutes of source material, it can sometimes be helpful when the internet is full of new content about the movie, even if it is fan content. Anyway, it started one night when my sister and I were passing memes back and forth, but after that, I would sometimes browse the Frozen Fandom for memes and other creations by fans of the movie that met my approval. So, in celebration of me finishing my "Elsa's Salvation" posts, I thought I'd share some here!


First, some basics:

I usually have a low tolerance for "Let it Go" puns, but I can't resist a good eyebrow raise.

Yes, we all love Kristoff, but I still hope Anna learned her lesson. These things take time.

We all know that's what they really meant. Disney logic.

I thought this one was pretty creative. Though it does make the point that the internet can be a strange and frightening place sometimes. 



I don't know why Spongebob Squarepants has such great meme material, but it does. Even if they are the same joke.

This one makes me laugh, mostly because I'm part of the horde.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a lot of the really great ones are all about Hans. There's just so much to hate!



Kids these days. They keep it real.



I've heard it said that the best part of this one is Hans' head photoshopped onto Goob's tiny body. 

Sorry for the vulgarity, but... seriously.

And his motives become clear!

So he's got a few flaws.

I don't know why this one made me laugh so much, but I just about died when I first saw it.

And there are, of course, a million different ways to make fun of "Love is an Open Door."

The movie would have gone very differently if Anna had had a lick of sense at this moment.

HOW DOES IT FEEL JERK?

I've seen, like, 20 versions of this one, so I figured it deserved a spot.

And even more funny things to do with Hans' betrayal



Don't worry, we've all been there.

Whatever revenge they get on you for doing this, you deserve it.

Harsh. 

These next two are a special shoutout to my sister.

While the single version has grown on me over time, it still doesn't compare.

You're actually pretty lucky if you get a warning from her.

Frozen, of course, provides great content for winter jokes.




The timing WAS suspicious. But there's nothing wrong with wanting what's yours!

And a last few funny ones.

I'm pretty sure this one was made by a member of an LDS Singles Ward.

I didn't actually realize that Idina was in Enchanted until a few months after I saw Frozen. Actually, I didn't even know who Idina Menzel was until after Frozen.

I don't even know why I find this funny.

Well... yeah... but still.

Speaking of the horrible grip of perspective.

I only actually saw it in theaters twice, but I have a friend who went five times.


They've got the whole "opposites attract" thing going for them.

...Yeah...

Elsa's got attitude, that's for sure.

It was such a great moment to get caught up in though!

For those of you who are unaware, there's a very popular theory that the King and Queen of Arendelle were on their way to Rapunzel's wedding when they hit the storm, because the Queen and Rapunzel's mom were sisters. That's why Rapunzel and Eugene were at Elsa's Coronation. There's another, albeit less popular theory that the King and Queen survived the shipwreck, and washed up on the shores of Africa, becoming Tarzan's parents. I don't think much of either theory, although I suppose the former would make sense. Anyway, there's also, of course, the Jelsa ship, that says that Jack Frost from "Legend of the Guardians" and Elsa should get together. Just for the record, I despise Jelsa. Not that I have anything against anyone who's for it, but the idea has just always rubbed me the wrong way. The one crossover picture I've seen that I really appreciated was this one:

That's Glaceon, by the way, an Ice-type Pokemon.

Okay, so those last few were a transition from the funny part of this post to the theory part. These next ones are a few pictures I came across while meme-hunting which fans used to express some theories and interpretations they have about the movie, and I thought they were worth sharing. Not necessarily because I agree with them, but I find them interesting. 

Starting with their childhood:

I'm sorry, it was too cute not to share. Which, as with any cute thing about Elsa and Anna before the accident, partially makes me really depressed because I know what happens to them :(


Two artists making the same point. All I have to say is: Ouch. Right in the feels.

I don't have picture for this one, but this was a fan-written version of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" which is Elsa's response:

Of course I want to build a snowman
There I’ve said it. I’ve confessed.
But I need to stay locked up inside
Although I hate to hide.
I know it’s for the best
You know you’re still my best friend
I wish that I
Could be out there by your side
Of course I wanna build a snowman
Oh how I’d love to build a snowman.
Wait up Anna!
Okay bye.


Of course I want to build a snowman
And run around and dance and play
I’m really lonely stuck inside my room
my life’s all gloom and doom
But I have gotta stay. 
(Hang in there elsa) 
I know you’re feeling lonely
I know I am too
But my powers will not subside
Con-ceal, don’t feel, con-ceal, don’t feel


Anna? 
Yes, I know you’re out there.
It must’ve been tough on your own. 
But now my magic has grown much to strong
I’ve feared this all along
Must be alone.  
But you deserve much better
Then what I can be
There’s nothing that I can do.
Of course I wanna build a snowman.


Yeah. Anyway, here are some people who make some observations and interpretations about specific moments in the movie.





So, this was an artist who thought that Elsa and Anna's interactions, even their arguments, were always too civil, and wanted at least one point where they just lay it all out on each other. So she drew this alternate scene when Anna visits Elsa at the Ice Palace. I, of course, think that the symbolism and message they conveyed with the Palace scene was worth not having an arguably more realistic argument. But even so, when I saw this (particularly the last panel) it made really feel for Anna. In a way though, the fact that she had so much reason to be angry makes it all the more meaningful that she chose this moment to offer her love instead.

Well, that got depressing fast.

This one I seriously doubt, but I can appreciate the Overanalyzing nonetheless.

I can never tell if these kinds of things are a coincidence, or if some animator was like "I wonder if anyone will catch this." Never underestimate the Fandom! 
I think this was the first time I heard the theory that Elsa heard Hans drawing his sword. The other parts are interesting as well.

Again, I don't necessarily buy it, but Kudos for the fascinating and touching idea!

An idea for a reprise of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman," which goes right before Anna thaws. Personally, I think it would have interrupted the moment; I think the stillness, with nothing but Elsa's tears, was the most powerful choice. But still, I like the creativity!

Well, those are all I have for now, but I'll probably update this post periodically if I find more (there are some I remember seeing, and wanted to post here, but can't find anymore). But, as always, let me know what you think!

EDIT: NEW PICTURES

THAT'S WHAT I KEEP SAYING!


No comments:

Post a Comment